Best Foot Forward: 9 helpful tips to boost your energy and job search in 2021
Even in the very challenging circumstances of another national lockdown, the new year offers an opportunity for a fresh start on your journey to employment. Our team of Employability Consultants, who offer employment support for veterans across England and Wales, give their top 9 tips to make progress and stay positive in your new year job search and throughout 2021.
1. Out with the old and in with the new. Change your approach by avoiding the things that didn’t work well last year and trying something new. You never know where it will lead.
2. Set realistic goals. Use a notebook to write down simple goals, like signing up for a skills course or contacting someone for support. Think about what you need to do to achieve each one.
3. Create structure and routine. Break the day up into bitesize chunks and reward yourself for completing tasks. After 50 minutes of job search, you might have a coffee or go for a short walk.
4. Get organised. Keep track of your finances, your job search, your contacts and who you’ve been speaking to about jobs. Don’t be afraid to contact employers directly to ask for feedback.
5. Stay focused. Job hunting takes time and persistence. If you don't hear back or an interview doesn't go well, don't give up. Dust yourself off and try again.
6. Celebrate little successes, however small. These will help to boost your confidence and self-esteem.
7. Be active. Regular activity is important for mental wellbeing and motivation, as well as physical health and fitness. Treat each day as a new day and make sure you top up on sunshine and fresh air whenever you're able.
8. Think about something else. Worrying about your job search will only increase stress – make sure you set aside time each day to forget about it and do something you enjoy.
9. Remember, you’re not alone. Seek out online networking and support groups to share your frustrations and successes. The more people you talk to, the more doors will be opened.
If you are a veteran with a physical or mental health condition, you can register for employment support from The Poppy Factory. No matter what happens with the pandemic, our Employability Consultants will be there to guide and support you through the difficult weeks ahead.
Alternatively, you can call us on 020 8939 1837 or email email@example.com
We work with amazing people who have served in our Armed Forces. Read some of their stories below.
"I thought I’d never work again and I really had no confidence. After nine months I’m still getting used to working again. Sometimes asking for help feels like the hardest part. But it’s definitely worth trying.”
“I was medically discharged from the Army because of my mental health, and I really lost my way. Now I love my job. It’s such a refreshing change to want to come to work and my boss is really supportive."
“My life has been an amazing rollercoaster and I’ve learned so much about people on the way. If it wasn’t for the Army, the VC Gallery and Natalie at The Poppy Factory, I don’t know where I’d be now.”