Employment support for ex-Forces NHS patients
Ex-Forces patients who are being treated for mental and physical health conditions can now access one-to-one employment support through pilot projects backed by NHS England.
Health professionals can refer veterans for ongoing support through The Poppy Factory’s employment consultants, who are embedded within local NHS networks.
Employment support is linked to health services in Plymouth, Portsmouth and across Cheshire and Wirral.
Positive progress through employment support
- The Poppy Factory's employment consultants have expertise in working with people with complex mental and physical health conditions (e.g. PTSD).
- Through our life-changing employment support we know employment can have a very positive effect on mental health and wellbeing, and we deliver our support at a pace that is appropriate for the clients needs.
- Alongside supporting clients, we will work with other partners to help break down health and social barriers that make entry into employment difficult.
- We welcome referrals from Clinicians across England, not just in Plymouth, Portsmouth and Cheshire and Wirral.
To make a referral on behalf of a patient you can use our online referral form.
Alternatively, the patient can self-refer using this form.
If you’re based in our NHS England pilot areas and would like to talk to your local employment consultant about a patient or about our service, you can contact them via the details below:
- Portsmouth, Gosport, Fareham and Isle of Wight: Lisa Battersby, 07909 257 955, Lisa.Battersby@solent.nhs.uk
- Plymouth: Neal Crump, 07551 361 296, Neal.Crump@nhs.net
- Cheshire and Wirral: Andrew Pickersgill, 07387 415 429, A.Pickersgill@nhs.net
Adaptation is rewarding for ex-Forces patient David
A combination of health conditions and low self-confidence left former soldier David struggling to see a way back into employment in his 50s. After his GP referred him for employment support from The Poppy Factory, David is now proudly back on the payroll with a rewarding new job at Wirral Borough Council, fitting home adaptations for residents who – like him – need a little more support.